Tuesday 15 July 2014

Day 1

We left Hawaii at about 7:30am today, but got to Kosrae (Kohsh-rye for all my non-Kosraean-speaking friends) at around 1:30pm the next day. The time change is very strange. Crossing the international date line just makes things get weird. First impressions of the island: beautiful, hot, and humid; pretty much exactly as advertised. We had a wonderful barbeque with WorldTeach and then headed to our host families. I had my first back of a pickup experience on the way there. It's the best way to ride around the island as far as I'm concerned. My host fam is wonderful and welcoming and the youngest daughter (who is going to be my unofficial Kosraean language teacher) is already making plans for tomorrow. She wants to show me everything! So far, the food has been wonderful and I've already eaten a ton of different things. My host family said that I "look fit" and therefore need to eat more. Good thing I've been training for this the past four years :) Shoutout to HSB (#RALLY) for keeping me on my eating game, endless juv to you all! That's about it for today; the jet lag is here in full force so I'm going to give in and go to sleep. The adventure begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment