Sunday 20 July 2014

Lazy Sunday in Kosrae

I went to church this morning with Almitta and Kokok. We got there late and left early, but time doesn't seem to be a big deal here, so I guess that was normal. When we got back, Smith's brother's wife (I think) and Kokok took me out to eat at Nautilus. I got pizza, which wasn't amazing, but it was nice to have a little slice of home (haha slice, see what I did there?). The rest of the day I mostly just laid around. I read for a little bit, took a nap, and then it was time for dinner. As usual, there was a huge meal prepared, complete with cooked fish, sashimi, rice, corn on the cob (again a reminder of home), and a few other local dishes like taro and breadfruit. I got to wear a muumuu to church today and Almitta braided my hair with a clip so I could really look Kosraean. I got a lot of compliments on my dress. Also, back to lunch with who I believe to be Smith's sister-in-law. This family is huge, and everyone is coming and going all the time so I honestly don't even know who lives here. It also feels like it doesn't matter because everyone is always welcome all the time. There are so many families that I can't keep them straight. I am already bad with names, so this many people with Kosraean names just compounds the problem. Hopefully with time I can learn them all. But then again, I'm sure at that point, someone new will walk in and the problem will start all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment